Thursday, October 21, 2010

A sharp knife

A good sharp knife skilfully used is the most essential tool in the kitchen-one which makes the preparation of food a keen pleasure, rather than a troublesome chore.

In planning a class teaching knife skills and soups, I started to think, what's my deal with knives?  Being a butcher's daughter I have always been fascinated by blades.  I can remember my late father sharpening the knife against a steel and he always smiled when he did it.  Never in a rush, never cross, simply concentrating. 

Food processors, choppers and mandolines have all found their way into my kitchen and I'm glad I have them.  They certainly have earned their place. (Except the slap chop, but that's another story.)    But they don't come close to calling me to the task at hand the way my favourite chef's knife does. 

Why my endless fascination with a sharp knife and a well worn cutting board?

No comments:

Post a Comment